Saturday, September 17, 2005
Hi, it's tomorrow.
Today was a long day. A nice Friday, but still a long day. My kids were total shitheads by bedtime, and I have only myself to blame. I know absolutely well how children thrive on routine, MY children in particular, yet I disrupt their routine REGULARLY just for my own selfish reasons. This week, they've missed out on at least two, maybe three naps, because I dragged them out somewhere because *I* needed to get out of the house! On those days when we stayed home and had lunch and played on the floor and played in the yard and they had nice long naps and hot baths, they behaved SO much better and slept better too. So what the fuck is my problem, then? Do I need it spelled out for me in black and white? Evidently I do. Stay home, Laura. Stop dragging your kids all over the fucking city. They don't need it, even if you do.

Anyway. We went to the mall today and met RaeJean and her boys, and it was mostly delightful. The kids all played and we had a yummy, delicious lunch, and I had fabulous conversation with my best friend. My kids were beginning to melt down after we ate, and if I had half a brain in my friggin head, I would have left THEN and brought them home for a nap, but nooooo, I had to drag them into the Disney Store and then back down to the play area for more running around and THEN, it was 2:00 and K gets out of school at 2:45, so why drive all the way back home when we would have to leave to get her anyway? So we went to visit my mom, and they TORE IT UP over at her house for an hour and a half. She was happy for the visit, or faked it well anyway, and we chatted and had a nice time. Then I left her place and picked up K, and the kids slept all the way home, and K and I drove around the neighborhood killing time so they could get a little bit of sleep.

We drove past where the new K-8 school is being built, we drove past the house that burned up earlier this summer to see how the renovation is going, we drove past two, no, three friends' houses to gawk and see if they were out in the yard (they weren't) and I yelled at some kids. Man! We were near our street, and these three little kids who could NOT have been more than 4 or 5 were PLAYING CHICKEN with cars. (!!!!) They were standing near a parked car, running out in the street, then running back when a car approached - this on a busy street in the subdivision, where the speed limit is THIRTY. I pulled right over and got out of my van and they seemed SHOCKED when I walked up to them and pulled out the mom voice. "WHERE is your mom?" I barked at them and they pointed and said, "She inside..." and I said, "You get out of this street RIGHT NOW before I go tell your mama you were out here!" As I drove away, I started thinking, fuck that, I should just go tell their mama they were in the street, and when we turned around to go back, the parked car and the kids were gone. Guess they were just visiting my neighbor. Fucking asshole parents just letting their kids run around like that! I honestly can't even imagine behaving that way. I don't even let my TEN YEAR OLD run around out where I can't see her, in this day and age!!

So, my honeybun hubby decided to go out with his buds, which is totally fine, and I'm happy he's out having fun, but I wish I had a babysitter who could come over and sit here while the kids sleep, so I could go MEET HIM and have a little drinky myself. Hmph. Instead, K and I had movie night, and we ate ice cream and watched a DVD. It was nice. I just tucked her into bed. All of my children are snoozing peacefully (for now - I'm sure someone will be up shortly!) and I'm about to run back downstairs and pick up - nothin' like cleaning house at midnight!

Have a super weekend. I think we may try to take some pictures of the kids in their Halloween costumes this weekend just for fun. Well, it's a nice thought anyway, even though we probably won't get around to it! Hubby-hub is going to work on his van (and hopefully my van too? Vacuuming it anyway?) And I need to drag all my children to the mall again (the ghetto mall!) to return K's boots that are too small. Woo! I'm outtie!
posted by Unknown at 12:21 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home