Monday, July 11, 2005
Why yes, my hands ARE full. Thanks for noticing!
These kids!

Well, after my big old post Saturday about the kids hating their playroom, the man went and installed FIFTEEN drawer latches in my kitchen. Only one seems to be failing, and it's the drawer I keep the kitchen linens in - so other than it being a mess, it's no biggie. We put the playyard fence in front of the big screen TV to protect it from toys and fingers. It doesn't have the plexiglass protector cover on it because we have too many windows and there's so much glare you can't even see the TV, so I made him take it off right after we moved in. But that means the TV is so vulnerable to scratches and stuff, we HAVE to keep the kids away from it. So. Fence in front of the TV. And I put away my laptop, because the kids are curious and just want to jump on it and stuff. Ack! So, no online time for me ALL. DAY. LONG. Unless I figure out a new place to set it up where they can't get to it. (We aren't wireless.)

And they ARE doing much better and seem much happier. Hopefully, the novelty of opening and slamming the microwave door will wear off before I have to duct tape it closed. And how do I get them to stop RUNNING across my sofa like it's a racetrack? I don't want a broken down sofa like my best friend's. LOL!

I worry so much about my little boy. He gets SO angry and frustrated all the time - if his sister is in his space, or he can't get a toy to do what he wants, he goes fucking bananas, throwing himself on the floor and kicking and screaming and banging his head on the floor. He's got a great bruise on his nose right now from throwing a fit. And it makes ME so angry when he's like that! I feel so ... unarmed. Like I need to do research, research, research and figure out what makes him tick and how to get through to him and if I should feed him a special diet or what. It's SO hard. I mean, just the fact that there are four kids is hard. The fact that the boy has ISSUES makes it a billion times harder, though.

And, no work on the yard this weekend. Hmph. The man had to go meet a friend to help him troubleshoot some electrical problem in his basement and it turned into an all day and half the night affair. I was home alone with the kids until 9:45. I don't care about that, but it does frustrate me that our yard still isn't in place. And yesterday, his parents came over, so we sat and chatted with them for a few hours. And cleaned the house. And mowed the grass and fertilized and trimmed the tree and cleaned up the dead tulips and stuff. So, yeah. No work on the backyard yesterday either. The wedding is in 7 weeks and 5 days, and I'm sure he's going to have the yard done. But seriously - I want it done THIS SECOND. I know the kids would be better if we could get outside and play!! We were playing in the yard briefly, but it's just too dangerous. We have a split-rail fence in back that they can get through in about one second. We need to have lattice over the top of it. But we need our grass and rock and stuff first. And we have six-foot-deep window wells on our basement windows. Need covers for those. Plus, since he's been busy doing the walkways and working on the sprinklers, there are tons and tons of tools out there. Ugh. He works so hard for us, though. Works all day and then comes home and I make him work hard here, too. And still in all that, he plays with the kids. He's such a good daddy.

Oh, and we did move the kids to their boosters, too. They look SO BIG sitting at the table! We have had a plate throwing incident (little brat girl!) but other than that, they've done terrific. And I took apart the highchairs, washed the chair pads in the washer and dryer and the NASTY straps in the dishwasher, then scrubbed the chairs down really well. They looked brand new when I put them back together, and the little girls look so cute sitting in them. I had been feeding them in their walkers, so now THOSE are nasty with spilled bits of food on the toybar and stuff. I'll clean those today, probably.

I will not get frustrated with my children today. I will not get frustrated with my children today. Fuck it, I think we'll go out to Target or the bookstore or something and get some fresh air.

Okay, so it's 8:39 and I can hear the boy howling from his crib, so it must be breakfast time! Have a splendid Monday! (I saw an episode of Desperate Housewives last night that I must have missed during the regular season. It made me miss watching it! I can't wait for it to come back on!)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention all the stuff I got when I went garage saling on Friday! I had K with me so it was much easier to keep the kids entertained. I took twenty bucks and spent every penny, and got all this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Two Gap Kids outfits for my big girl, two matching sleepers for my little girl, those cheezy unicorn pictures for K's room (she saw them from the street and flipped out!) a Little Tikes drum, maracas, and tambourine that were BRAND NEW (because our house is far too quiet) a Little Tikes tiny little kitchen, 4 board books, a big bendy caterpillar baby toy thingy, a Fisher Price electronic play table thing with three interchangable discs (it's way cool! AND it came with a dead cricket inside - bonus!), and that baby pool thingy. The baby pool thingy isn't actually a baby pool for water - the bottom is fabric and has things you can press on that squeak, plus a toy that's attached to it and an area you can fill with water so the baby can press on it and see floaty fish and stuff. It's very cool, and it was a dollar! A dollar! I was pleased with my haul!
posted by Unknown at 8:40 AM

7 Comments:

Blogger Felicity said...

I remember a time when you posted about Mallory being so bossy with Pablo. I'm betting he's just now figuring out how to push back. That's why he gets so upset if she's in his space or takes his toys. Also, Daniel went through a real cranky stage a few months ago. Nothing made him happy and he threw himself to the floor in tantrums frequently. What we figured is he was frustrated because he wanted to communicate, but couldn't yet. Now that he's talking more, he's much more calm and easier to get along with.

If you can determine the tantrums to be "I want my own way NOW" sort of tantrums, then ignore them. As difficult as it is to listen to, it's just not the end of the world if he gets mad. Let it ride it's course, it'll be easier on your sanity if you don't stress over it. When Daniel gets mad because I've said "no" to something, the minute he throws himself back for the big melt down, I tell him "I'm sorry your sad Daniel" and walk away. I've done this pretty consistently and his tantrums are few and far between and they certainly don't last long if they happen because he knows he gets no reaction to them. After his minute tantrum, he normally finds me, climbs up for hugs. Heh.

Not that you asked for advice or anything LOL. I just know that Pablo and Daniel seem to be a lot alike, so maybe Pablo is just teaching his sister a thing or two and frustrated that he can't talk like he wants to yet.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Felicity said...

I highly recommend reading any of Anthony E. Wolf's books on parenting, especially "Solution to sibling bickering" and "Its not fair". (available at local library) To me I can better deal with something if I understand why. These books explain my kid's behavior, so I better understand why they do what they do. His reasoning can be applied to any age. We especially like to apply it to the older kids. These books don't have a lot of "rules" or "methods" to follow such is the case with SuperNanny etc. They are mostly reassuring to read as a parent. I recommend them!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

I miss Desperate Housewives as well. I cannot wait for the new season.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Brandi1977 said...

NICE loot at the yardsales. I hate to say I have most of those toys. I need to get rid of someof my shit! :)

8:57 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Good shopping, girl!!! Shannon would have flipped for those unicorn pics, too. I had that itty-bitty kitchen in my preschool room last year. (In addition to a regular play-size one.)

Chin up, sweets.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Christi said...

Oh, I want to go yardsaling!

I think today was just one of those days. My kids got on my everlasting nerves, too! Good luck to you!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I think all little boys go through that cranky/angry phase about this age (I know Jonah sure did). Once P starts talking you'll find he morphs back into that sweet little man again.

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home